With the release of Extender Workflow, our most versatile module gained a whole new dimension.
Trigger notifications & workflows when data changes
Customize Sage 300 business logic without complex code
Develop your own Views and Screens without the complexity of SDK
Why use it?
Do you have business or integration requirements that can’t be met by ‘out of the box’ Sage 300 functionality?
- Are you shocked by high costs associated with software development and upgrades, or worried about adding complexity and risk by introducing solutions that sit outside your ERP system?
- Did you know there is now a cost-effective way to introduce bespoke business logic, from simple validations and alerts through to custom screens and tables, or integration with external applications, all held within your Sage 300 database?
What is it?
Extender allows you to extend the functionality of Sage 300 (Accpac) in many different ways.
It is available in four editions:
Configure Events and Workflows to monitor, manage and log changes in Sage 300 data, trigger alerts (via email or Orchid Notes), or run external applications.
Customize Sage 300 using Python scripts. Automate business processes, enhance systems integration, develop Custom Screens, and provide tailored validation and alerting by extending Sage 300 business logic (Views). Tailor existing screens, in ways not possible at the View level, and create more complex Workflows.
Develop Custom Tables that form part of the Sage 300 database and database dictionary, tailoring the core system to meet the user's exact needs.
Load and run specific Extender Certified Apps from 3rd party developers.
- Enhance the value of existing Sage 300 implementations through cost-effective customization.
- Create new screens without the need for complicated programming.
- Easily apply company-specific customizations to Sage 300 Views, or introduce custom Workflows.
- Use Python scripts to tailor tabs, fields, buttons and finders on existing Sage 300 screens.
- Save time and money with version-independent enhancements.
- Provides SDK customization, without needing to understand all the complexity of the Sage 300 SDK.
- Enhanced auditing capability on any table, any field, at any time, logging what changed, by whom, and when.
- Context-sensitive drill down into changes recorded in Logs – without leaving the screen or running reports.
- Python scripts & Custom Tables are preserved as part of the Sage 300 company database, and can be Dumped and Loaded.
- Configurable security – per user, per Sage 300 View.
- Synchronize between systems more efficiently, in real time. Only update data that has changed.
- Operates across all Sage 300 modules, as well as third-party modules written in the Sage 300 SDK.
HOW IT WORKS
Extender monitors changes made to specific data in a Sage 300 View in real time, and triggers user-defined actions when nominated Events occur.
Available actions depend on the Extender edition:
Based on the configuration of Events and Workflows for a View Field or View Operation (insert, update, delete or insert/update), Extender can:
- Log a change (date/time, user who made the change, pre and post-update values).
- Send an email, based on a configurable template that can contain any pre or post-update value of the View fields.
- Create or update an Orchid Information Manager Note, based on a configurable template that can contain any pre or post-update value of the View fields.
- Call an external program
- Trigger a Workflow that makes use of our range of pre-defined Workflow Actions.
In addition to Configurator functionality, Customizer provides customization capability at the View and Screen level:
- View Level – allows you to implement business-specific logic by using custom Python scripts to subclass Sage 300 business logic (Views), making use of a collection of SDK View calls. (E.g. Check which View fields are changing, or which View operation is occurring, and apply the required logic.)
Customizer also allows you to develop more complex Workflows by incorporating Custom Actions.
- Screen Level – allows custom screens to be constructed, or existing screens to be customized, using Python scripts. These make use of Sage 300 screen controls, without the need to develop the UIs in the traditional Sage 300 way (using VB or VBA).
The Python scripts are imported into the company database, so the customizations are backed up with the company data, and will Dump & Load with the company data.
In addition to Customizer functionality, Developer provides a development environment, allowing you to:
- Create your own Sage 300 business logic (Views), with associated View calls and underlying database tables in the Sage 300 company database.
- Maintain the Sage 300 database dictionary without being an expert Sage 300 SDK developer.
- Use the Custom Table Editor to create, update and delete the data in your Custom View – or write a script for a tailored screen.
- Amend Custom Tables (e.g. add or remove fields) while preserving existing data.
- Associate Custom Tables, Scripts, Screens and Events by Module ID for easy deployment between companies on one site, or across sites.
- Develop Custom Workflow Actions that incorporate Custom View/Table data.
Users can run only the functionality included in the Extender App they are licensed to use. Sage 300 partners can build Extender Certified Apps using the underlying Extender functionality.
Workflow Templates are attached to Sage 300 view fields or view operations. They can work with Sage 300 Masterfiles (e.g. G/L Account, A/R Customer, A/P Vendors), Transaction header views (e.g. A/P payments or O/E Orders), or with Batch views.
- Workflows can be configured to start automatically when a data change occurs, or when a Python script is executed (e.g. by Process Scheduler, or an Extender Script attached to a Sage 300 view or desktop screen).
- You also have the option to start workflows manually from a Workflow Icon on a Sage 300 screen.
- A workflow instance is created for each running workflow. A user assigned to a workflow instance can progress it to the next step using the Workflow Console. The console allows them to navigate through the workflow records, approve or reject requests, and drill down to Sage 300 screens.
- Alternatively, they can use workflow icons configured on relevant Sage 300 screens.
A series of value-dependent Workflow Actions (Python scripts) is executed when each workflow step is invoked.
- We have developed a range of pre-defined Actions, which should be sufficient to support workflows for many standard business scenarios.
- Advanced users can also develop their own custom Actions in Python.
The workflow capability available is determined by your current product licences:
- The Configurator edition of Extender will allow you to configure and execute Workflow Templates that use our pre-defined Actions.
- The Customizer or Developer editions of Extender are required if you wish to develop your own custom Actions.
- Each workflow user will require an Orchid User licence to access the Workflow Console, and/or use workflow icons configured on Sage 300 screens. (Orchid Users are licensed on a concurrent basis.)